Gynecological Medical Malpractice
Obstetrics and Gynecology, otherwise known as OBGYN, go hand in hand. They both specialize in female reproductive health care and you’ll hear both Obstetrics and Gynecology terms used simultaneously when people discuss female reproductive health. OBGYN’s assist with everything from pregnancy to reproductive cancer screening. Like most medical professions, it’s incredibly important to do everything appropriately according to proper procedures and medical standards.
Although not entirely common, medical malpractice does exist with gynecological malpractice. This occurs either due to the stress of the moment (i.e., delivering a baby and making a rash decision) or it could occur from a non-educated negligence (i.e., not being properly trained in the field, yet claiming to have a license to perform a given gynecological procedure). No matter how the medical malpractice originates, it could cause painful or life-threatening issues.
Types of Gynecological Medical Malpractice Negligence
- Improperly using forceps
- Birth injuries
- Misdiagnosis of birth defect/genetic disorder during pregnancy
- Failure to diagnose ovarian, breast, uterine, or cervical cancer
- Causing sterility
- Causing miscarriages
- Failure to perform a timely cesarean section
- Failure to recognize fetal distress
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Failure to diagnose gestational diabetes
- Causing organ or brain damage through asphyxiation
- Failure to test for HIV
- Wrongful death
Compensation for Gynecological Medical Malpractice
You may be entitled to compensation from the gynecological medical malpractice that occurred. Below are some examples of what you might be entitled to:
- Lost wages – if the individual was harmed to the point of not being able to return to work, she may be entitled for recovering her lost wages due to the injury and time to convalesce.
- Medical bills – If the individual(s) (i.e., a mother and her baby) were injured during the event of medical malpractice and negligence, they may be entitled to compensation for any current medical bills, future medical bills, and even the potential of past medical bills. Due to the extent of the injury, this would include the coverage costs for any medical need, including the costs for both physical and mental health.
- Pain / suffering – Compensation may be included for the pain and suffering that the patient received from the cause of negligence that occurred during the gynecological medical malpractice.
- Wrongful death – compensation may be awarded to family members due to wrongful death.
Results of Gynecological Medical Malpractice
Gynecological medical malpractice can result in long-term, traumatic problems. A patient’s safety during pregnancy can go from an exciting time to a devastating one in a matter of moments. Misdiagnosing or failing to diagnose, a reproductive cancer can be the difference between life and death. Other types of poorly handled procedures, whether surgical or nonsurgical, can also cause consequences that are ultimately life-threatening.
It’s important to receive the representation that you deserve if you have been the victim of gynecological medical malpractice. Kaplan & Lukowski, LLP are Georgia’s choice medical malpractice and personal injury lawyers to help you get the representation you or a loved one needs.
Call Us for Your Representation for Gynecological Medical Malpractice in Atlanta, GA
If you were caused pain and suffering through gynecological medical malpractice, give us a call or fill out our online form. Your first consultation is FREE with Kaplan & Lukowski, LLP, the choice personal injury attorneys of Atlanta, GA. You can also contact us via phone at (404) 845-0012 to find out if you have a case.